New to the site?


If you're new to this blog and want some context for it, read this post from the day I announced my Alzheimer's disease and this post about the day I announced I had lost it. For more info, visit my website with my autobiography and all blog entries in chronological order for easier reading to catch up. There's also a sermon on the spiritual lessons I've learned through this journey through my damaged mind.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Where have you been?

Washington DC
I realize I haven’t written anything for almost three weeks.  One kind soul even emailed me inquiring after my health.  It’s true that I was out of Internet range for a week and I’ve been struggling with a smashed collarbone** for the last ten days that has made typing difficult.  But the reality is that I haven’t had much to say.

I’m fine.  Physically the pain from the collarbone injury doesn’t bother much except at night.  I continue to struggle with the mild cognitive decline that impairs my memory and makes certain intellectual tasks more difficult.  But I’ve gotten used to the limitations; there doesn’t seem to be much (if any) progression; and my life is otherwise so much better than before my decline that I don’t think about it much anymore.

I appreciate the little community that has sprung up around this site, and I want to stay in touch.  I’ll continue to write if I have anything to say.  I will, however, be out of town for the next month with limited Internet access.   If I am inspired, I’ll find some way to publish the results here on the blog while I’m away.  Otherwise, I’ll be back in September.


** For those of you who drive in cities and use on-street parking, I beg you to look for bicyclists before you open the door on the driver’s side.  If you open your door without looking, a bicyclist has no chance.  A week ago Saturday I was riding in a bike lane on a side street.  Without warning (I suspect I was checking my rearview mirror for traffic), I crashed into an open door and the edge of the door hit me in the middle of my collarbone.  I wear a helmet of course, but if I’d been five inches closer to the car, it would have smashed my face in.  Since “being doored” (as it’s known in the trade) also spills the rider out into the traffic lane, the consequences would have been much worse if there had been any traffic.  I’ve ridden in the city for years and intend to continue to do so (for convenience, health, financial and ecological reasons).  So please watch out for me and my brothers and sisters as you’re getting out of your car.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/28/2014

    Mirabile dictu--was just going to also write an email to inquire about your situation, then thought better of it--various reasons for people not blogging--and up 'popped' your new blog note! I'm so glad you're doing as well as you are, after such a harrowing bike experience. Whether you have time to write or not, many of your 'blogging congregation' will 'stay tuned' to your insights in the next month or so. Best to you. Peace, Sodium

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heal well. Glad to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had thought that you were probably enjoying yourself, camping, boating, fishing, travelling and so you were unavailable. Too bad it was an injury instead. Hope you heal up quickly. Don't worry about us. I just pop in here usually once every day or two, and notice nothing is new, so click back out. Since its summer, I didn't even consider an injury. I just figured its time for camping and travelling. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you are okay. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7/30/2014

    Glad you are ok. Sincerely hope you continue to be inspired. Your words help in so many ways. Bike on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you got "car-doored." I hope your collarbone heals quickly and you're able to enjoy the rest of your summer. Don't worry about us, your readers, but write when you feel you have something to say! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice B.8/01/2014

    So sorry about your injury. I can relate...broke my right collarbone in January due to a fall. Extremely painful. Acupuncture finally helped me with pain since I am sensitive to meds. Glad you are doing better and blogging again. I'll keep checking back.

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to be notified whenever someone comments on your comment, click on "Subscribe by Email" underneath your comment.